Sunday, November 21, 2010

I went to the Devoxx 2010 conference and...

and I got the t-shirt to prove it


100% Javaholic was the motto of this year's Java developer conference, organised by the Belkgian JUG and held in Antwerp.
Of course, I wasn't there to collect the t-shirt - unlike some others who shall remain unnamed and went from booth to booth to fetch a t-shirt, even if they weren't interested in the product. You know who you are :-p

and I met Bruno Lowagie

For those who don't know Bruno Lowagie, he's the primary developer behind the iText project, an open-source library for producing PDF files using Java. There must be something in the water around here, as he lives about 30 miles from my house - two Belgians, both writing PDF libraries - what are the odds?
As he was busy signing copies of iText in Action (second edition) the conversation was rather short, but he signed my copy of his book with "To a fellow PDF developer" - what a compliment :-)

and I managed to squeeze LiveCode onto a whiteboard


Given that someone actually added 'HyperTalk :-)' to the board right behind my entry, I think I wasn't the only guy there who knows LiveCode. Next time, poke me and I'll buy you a drink.

and had a very good time overall

Plenty of interesting sessions, friendly environment and excellent organization. I'll definitely go back next time I get the chance.

No comments: